To help our garden owners decide on the type of hedging that is best suited for their landscape situation we have put together this descriptive list of the best and most popular plants for this purpose. All of these choices are deer resistant. The california lilac (ceanothus) is a much smaller species in terms of size and would require less maintenance then the other choices. The lilac is also the only flowering species chosen here. It flowers in early summer for weeks and again late in the fall (much lighter flowering) Loved by bees and insects…a healthy addition to any garden. It is also native to Vancouver Island and is drought tolerant.
The laurel which have many different cultivar species to choose from: growing from 2ft to 20 ft tall. All of the cedars and junipers will grow to incredible heights left to nature. They must be pruned and trimmed at least once annually. There are many other plants, shrubs and trees that can be chosen for a hedge. Use your imagination and choose what you would like in your garden.
EVERGREEN HEDGING (needled conifers)
- Foliage is a blue-green colour.
- Very fast growing evergreens. These shrubs often grow 3 feet per year!
- Good for where you need extra height and width to screen out other buildings or highway noise.
- Plant 3 feet apart for hedge and 5 feet apart for natural effect.
- Deer resistant once established.
- <meta name=”p:domain_verify” content=”7ed9707289752f3706c2f31a28d3e6ab”/>